During the 1920s and 30s in Vancouver, bowling and golfing became popular group sports in the Jewish community. Following World War II, interest in golf rose and players began organizing tournaments at public golf courses. However, due to restrictions on Jewish membership at private golf clubs, a committee of Jewish golfers moved to establish their own club.
In 1952, through the sale of memberships, the nine-hole Gleneagles Golf and Country Club was purchased. It took a lot of hard work to convert what was essentially a “cow pasture” into a first-rate golf course with a spacious clubhouse. The first executive included Esmond Lando, as honorary president; Dave Sears, as president; and Myer Brown, as vice-president.
In 1958, the original golf course was sold and work began on a full, 18-hole golf course. The new Richmond Country Club opened its doors in September 1959. Its modern landscaping and layout made it a popular course and it went on to host tournaments such as the B.C. Amateur and Women’s PNGA.