South gate of Burrard Bridge
Sepia image of the Burrard Street Bridge, a six lane, 1932 Art Deco style, steel truss bridge in Vancouver, British Columbia. This high, five-part bridge on four piers spans False Creek, connecting that city's downtown with Kitsilano. Its two close approach spans are Warren deck-trusses, while its central span reverses to a through Pratt truss, to allow shipping. The central span is masked on both sides by extensions of its masonry piers into imposing concrete towers, connected by overhead galleries, which are embellished with architectural and sculptural details, creating a torch-like entrance of pylons. Originally unifying the long approaches and the distinctive central span were heavy concrete railings, topped by decorative street lamps. Busts of Captain George Vancouver and Sir Harry Burrard-Neale in ship prows jut from the bridge’s superstructure (a V under Vancouver’s bust, a B under Burrard’s). The design architect was George Lister Thornton Sharp, the engineer John R. Grant.
Street view shows pedestrians walking on left sidewalk of Burrard Street Bridge, facing north; Hotel Vancouver in distant background.