Spotlight on Youth
In the fall of each year, grade 11 students at King David High School (KDHS), the largest Jewish High School west of Winnipeg, embarked on an ambitious project - to create original videos exploring the immigration stories of their family members.
Using newly purchased video camera equipment and editing software made possible by a grant from the Avi Chai Foundation, students received training by Jewish Museum & Archives of BC staff on how to conduct interviews for historical purposes, how to identify primary historical resources, and how to research for historical photographs and documents through the JMABC facility and online genealogy and archives databases. After many months of post-production, the videos are now available to view on the JMABC website.
Special thanks to Eleanor Braude at KDHS for initiating and coordinating the project.
Check regularly for updates and additions. Have your own family history to share? Visit www.jewishmuseum.ca/communityvideos and learn how to contribute your story.
- Michael Vinnitski Immigration Story - Emma V
- My Father's Immigration Story - Jack F
- Daniel Gilenberg: Immigration Story - Maya R
- Interview with Maurice Shenkier - Naomi L
- I Had to Leave Home - Nitzan Gal Z
- Archie Sidelski: My Great Grandfather - Saul Z
- From Austria to Vancouver - Suzy F
- Sydney Freedman, An Immigration Story - Raffi
- Julian Collis, An Immigration Story - Claudia I
- Eliza Shawn, A Life's Journey - Olivia F
- A Freeman Immigration Story - Brady W
- A Needle in a Haystack - Devyn B
- My Immigrant Story - Max J
- The Story of lancu Brucar - Leyla B
- Claire’s Story - Oliver F