Richmond Country Club
In the 1950’s, at a time when Jewish people were excluded from joining the existing private golf and country clubs in Vancouver, the Jewish community went out and started their own.
Originally named the Cedarcrest Golf Club, the group of Jewish golfers played on the Public Langara olf ourse. After some time without a permanent home for the club, the group purchased the Gleneagles Golf ourse in West Vancouver. From their original home at the Gleneagles Golf Club they expanded and moved to 130 acres along Steveston highway in Richmond. In 1958 the Jewish community constructed an 18-hole golf course and club on the new site. This new club was officially named The Richmond Country Club and is still thriving into the 2000s with about 70% of their current membership being Jewish.
July 2012 marked the 30th anniversary of the Canadian Hadassah-WIZO (CHW) pro-am golf tournament to “raise money for women, children and healthcare in Israel” held at the Richmond Country Club. The CHW golf tournament is the largest single event fundraiser for CHW in Vancouver and continues to ensure help for Israeli people. The long standing partnership between the Richmond Country Club and CHW in organizing this event brings together two organizations started by volunteer community leaders that have supported the BC and international Jewish communities for many years.