Black and white image shows children gathered around a man wearing a kippah and holding a book; bimah and ark in background, with another man wearing a kippah covering the Torah scroll. This photo was taken in Beth Hamidrash B'nai Jacob, Vancouver's only Sephardic synagogue, established in the late 1960s and located at 3231 Heather Street. Gamliel Aharon is teaching at the Sephardic Sunday school class. President Naxem J. Aboody (top) is displaying an ancient scroll of Law from Congregation Magen David in Bombay, India.
Completed in 1921. This was the first substantial Jewish public building in Vancouver, built at a cost of $65,000. Seating six hundred persons, it was large enough to accomodate the entire congregation.
Led by Rabbi P. Wohlgelernter, the Chevra Chovevi Torah are worshipping at regular morning service. top: L-R: Ed Kravitz; Samuel Kravitz. Fourth row: L-R: Yudah Tischler; Itzik Berger; Schmil Hersh (Hayit) Hyatt; Mnachem Mendel Farber; Daniel Yochlowitz. Third row: L-R: Alexander (Berezofsky) Barratt; Isaac Lipovsky; Samuel Klausner; unidentified; Gershen Bobroff. Second row: L-R: Shmuel Gurevitch; Leiser Rome; Maurice Kushner; Solomon Stusser; Maurice Goldberg; Benjamin Baltman. First row: L-R: Abraham Levinson; David Meier Davis; Rabbi Solomon Wohlgelernter; David Morris.