Selim Franklin (1814-1884) moved up to Victoria for the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush. In Victoria, the brothers Lumley and Selim established Franklin & Company, Auctioneers and Land Agents, at the foot of Yates Street. Franklin & Company generally took out full page adds in the daily newspaper, The British Colonist, to advertise items up for auction which usually included properties in the area, furniture, cattle, books, photographs and carriages. Selim Franklin (1814-1884) moved up to Victoria for the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush.
Completed in 1921. This was the first substantial Jewish public building in Vancouver, built at a cost of $65,000. Seating six hundred persons, it was large enough to accomodate the entire congregation.
Led by Rabbi P. Wohlgelernter, the Chevra Chovevi Torah are worshipping at regular morning service. top: L-R: Ed Kravitz; Samuel Kravitz. Fourth row: L-R: Yudah Tischler; Itzik Berger; Schmil Hersh (Hayit) Hyatt; Mnachem Mendel Farber; Daniel Yochlowitz. Third row: L-R: Alexander (Berezofsky) Barratt; Isaac Lipovsky; Samuel Klausner; unidentified; Gershen Bobroff. Second row: L-R: Shmuel Gurevitch; Leiser Rome; Maurice Kushner; Solomon Stusser; Maurice Goldberg; Benjamin Baltman. First row: L-R: Abraham Levinson; David Meier Davis; Rabbi Solomon Wohlgelernter; David Morris.
The sacred Sabbath is ritually separated from the beginning of a new work week by the lighting of a braided candle, the sniffing of aromatic herbs kepts in a spice box, and the drinking of wine. This spice box and kiddush cup were brought to Canada by the Gruenthal family in 1947. The kiddush cup was a gift to Hans Gruenthal on the occasion of his birth in Germany, in 1902.
This decorative ornament sits over both the wooden dowels of the Torah scroll and symbolizes the regal nature of the Torah. Helen and Harry Fugman donated this Torah crown to Congregation Schara Tzedeck in memory of their son, Mordecai Fugman, who was killed in Israel's War of Independence in 1948.