The Centre was planned and built under considerable financial difficulty at the beginning of the Great Depression. Pictured are the committee members responsible for bringing the project to fullfillment. L-R: Julius B. Jaffe, Building Chairman; Albert G. Hirschberg; and Max M. Grossman.
Leith Bros. Hardware (1914-1966) in Prince George, BC. Mr. Jacob Leith was prominant in the Prince George community. He was involved in the Chamber of Commerce, and after the Second World War he was a recipient of a certificate of appreciation by the Government of Canada for his contribution to militia, civil defence and victory loan sales. At age 93, he was still reading the Torah at religous services in the Prince George community.
The first Vancouver Peretz School opened in 1945 at Thirteenth Avenue and Birch, with the objectives of providing a secular education in Jewish history, literature, culture and traditions with an emphasis on Yiddish (See the Jewish Western Bulletin, 22 September 1960, p. 20). Back L-R: Lil Slobod, Matilda Porte, Rachel Korn, Susie Dodek, Sara Sarkin, Bernice Abramson. Front L-R: Anne Wyne, Sarah Stone, Sara Rubin, Lucy Lacterman, Bunny Braverman, Galya Chud.