The Centre was planned and built under considerable financial difficulty at the beginning of the Great Depression. Pictured are the committee members responsible for bringing the project to fullfillment. L-R: Julius B. Jaffe, Building Chairman; Albert G. Hirschberg; and Max M. Grossman.
The first Vancouver Peretz School opened in 1945 at Thirteenth Avenue and Birch, with the objectives of providing a secular education in Jewish history, literature, culture and traditions with an emphasis on Yiddish (See the Jewish Western Bulletin, 22 September 1960, p. 20). Back L-R: Lil Slobod, Matilda Porte, Rachel Korn, Susie Dodek, Sara Sarkin, Bernice Abramson. Front L-R: Anne Wyne, Sarah Stone, Sara Rubin, Lucy Lacterman, Bunny Braverman, Galya Chud.
Vancouver's oldest extant pharmacy, located at 15 East Hastings Street.
Located in Vancouver's East side at 504 East Hastings, Ferrara Court was the residence of Mary Livingston and many other Jewish families. Mary first met Benny Kubelsky (Jack Benny), a vaudeville performer, at a Passover seder at her family's home at Ferrara Court.