This decorative ornament sits over both the wooden dowels of the Torah scroll and symbolizes the regal nature of the Torah. Helen and Harry Fugman donated this Torah crown to Congregation Schara Tzedeck in memory of their son, Mordecai Fugman, who was killed in Israel's War of Independence in 1948.
A decorative Torah mantle or case protects the scroll when it is stored. Cloth Torah mantles are part of the Ashkenazic tradition. Hard Torah cases are part of the Sephardic tradition. This mantle is dedicated to the memory of Rebbetzin Pastinsky, wife of Rabbi Nathan Pastinsky.
Used by David Matlin; apprenticed under his father Simon, who was a master tailor from Liverpool, England. The family immigrated to Winnipeg in 1907, when David was seventeen, he became a ladies' coat and dress designer, working in clothing factories in Winnipeg and Vancouver for over 50 years. He moved to Vancouver in 1952 and spent the last 35 years of his life there. This sewing machine was used in David Matlin's home.
In Vancouver, early twentieth century Jewish immigrants, who arrived from Russia, Romania, Poland, and Germany may not have been able to speak English, but they shared the Yiddish language. Developed in the late Middle Ages as a mix of Hebrew, German and Slavic languages, Yiddish was the common language of Eastern European Jews. In Strathcona, it was the language spoken in Jewish homes and in the sermons at the Synagogue.
A decorative shield is placed over the mantle, symbolizing the breastplate of the High Priest of the Temple in Jerusalem. Evelyn Toban donated this ornament to Congregation Schara Tzedeck in honour of the ninetieth birthday of Harry Toban. As Schara Tzedeck's president in the 1940's, Harry Toban led the synagogue's move from Heatley Street in Vancouver's East End neighbourhood of Strathcona to Oak street in Fairview neighbourhood, South Vancouver.