To protect the painstakingly inscribed words on the Torah parchment, a pointer (rather than a finger) is used to follow the text. This Torah pointer was donated to Congregation Schara Tzedeck in honour of David Shafran's seventieth birthday.
The sacred Sabbath is ritually separated from the beginning of a new work week by the lighting of a braided candle, the sniffing of aromatic herbs kepts in a spice box, and the drinking of wine. This spice box and kiddush cup were brought to Canada by the Gruenthal family in 1947. The kiddush cup was a gift to Hans Gruenthal on the occasion of his birth in Germany, in 1902.
This decorative ornament sits over both the wooden dowels of the Torah scroll and symbolizes the regal nature of the Torah. Helen and Harry Fugman donated this Torah crown to Congregation Schara Tzedeck in memory of their son, Mordecai Fugman, who was killed in Israel's War of Independence in 1948.
A decorative Torah mantle or case protects the scroll when it is stored. Cloth Torah mantles are part of the Ashkenazic tradition. Hard Torah cases are part of the Sephardic tradition. This mantle is dedicated to the memory of Rebbetzin Pastinsky, wife of Rabbi Nathan Pastinsky.
Besides being the first recorded Jewish person to arrive in British Columbia, Alexander Aaron Phillips was Victoria's first baker of "Passover Bread" (matzoh), which he sold all over Vancouver Island and the state of Washington. In the fall of 1858 he opened the Pioneer Syrup, Soda and Cider Works. ALexander Phillips was the second president of Temple Emanu-El, a founding member of a local Masonic Lodge and Odd Fellows Lodge, as well as a member of the ST. George's Society and the British Columbia Benevolent Association.
John Mahrer, an immigrant from Prague, opened a brewery in Nanaimo, a coal mining centre and port that is located north of Victoria on Vancouver Island. When the brewery amalgamated with the Union Brewery in 1891, Mahrer became its manager and master brewer. Mahrer was on the Nanaimo City Council for eight years and belonged to several charitable organizations as well as the city's band. John and Louise Mahrer's home and the Nanaimo Opera House, which John built, were the centres of Nanaimo's cultural life at the time.
A decorative shield is placed over the mantle, symbolizing the breastplate of the High Priest of the Temple in Jerusalem. Evelyn Toban donated this ornament to Congregation Schara Tzedeck in honour of the ninetieth birthday of Harry Toban. As Schara Tzedeck's president in the 1940's, Harry Toban led the synagogue's move from Heatley Street in Vancouver's East End neighbourhood of Strathcona to Oak street in Fairview neighbourhood, South Vancouver.