Jewish Historical Society of B.C. photograph collection
Black and white image of boys at Camp Hatikvah in south Surrey, BC. Group photograph of eight boys at camp, walking double-file down a stairway; three are wearing cadet-style caps with the Magen David. Crescent Beach Camp was dedicated in July 1937. In 1946, the camp was sold to the Zionist Organization of British Columbia and became Camp Hatikvah ("camp of hope"). The camp later relocated to Oyama in the Okanagan Valley, reopening on July 1, 1956.
The Hoffman family were very active in the Temple Emanu-El's early congregation. Abraham was the first secretary when the congregation formed and Samuel Hoffman was the first Vice President.
Samuel Gintzburger was the president of the reform Congregation Emanu-El in Vancouver. He was also instrumental in organizing the Vancouver Hebrew Free Loan Association, serving as president from 1915-24. He was also a leader in the greater community. He served as Councillor of the West Vancouver Municipality, he was the Honorary Life President of the Vancouver Automobile Club, and was involved in the BC Philatelic Society; the Vancouver Scientific, Arts and Historical Society; and L'Alliance Francaise.
Showing L-R: Morris Glucksman, Joseph Snider, and Ben Snider. The building was demolished in the spring 2008.