Jewish Historical Society of B.C. photograph collection
Black and white image shows children gathered around a man wearing a kippah and holding a book; bimah and ark in background, with another man wearing a kippah covering the Torah scroll. This photo was taken in Beth Hamidrash B'nai Jacob, Vancouver's only Sephardic synagogue, established in the late 1960s and located at 3231 Heather Street. Gamliel Aharon is teaching at the Sephardic Sunday school class. President Naxem J. Aboody (top) is displaying an ancient scroll of Law from Congregation Magen David in Bombay, India.
Black and white image of the first Jewish Community Centre with ivy on its facade at 11th & Oak Street. The construction for the building was completed in the fall of 1928. The first JCC provided a headquarters for Jewish community offices, meeting rooms and athletic facilities. Built on the instigation and financial support of Samuel Lodge B'nai Brith. The building was originally to include a gymnasium and a 600 seat auditorium.