Jewish Historical Society of B.C. photograph collection
Kady Gambitz opened his first store in 1858 on the West side of Yates Street. In December 1859 he opened a new store on Yates near the corner of Government Street. The store is showed in this engraving (second from the left), between the Adelphi Saloon and the Bank of British North America. Businesses left to right; Adelphi Saloon, Kady Gambitz's dry goods; Bank of Britsh North America; Moor & Co., Druggists on Yates and Langley; Hibben and Carswell; Langley Bros. Druggists; Auction House on Wharf.Kady Gambitz opened his first store in 1858 on the West side of Yates Street.
Black and white image of an advertisement.
Selim Franklin (1814-1884) moved up to Victoria for the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush. In Victoria, the brothers Lumley and Selim established Franklin & Company, Auctioneers and Land Agents, at the foot of Yates Street. Franklin & Company generally took out full page adds in the daily newspaper, The British Colonist, to advertise items up for auction which usually included properties in the area, furniture, cattle, books, photographs and carriages. Selim Franklin (1814-1884) moved up to Victoria for the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush.