Business

Posted by jhsadmin
Object id: 
L.00034

Kady Gambitz opened his first store in 1858 on the West side of Yates Street. In December 1859 he opened a new store on Yates near the corner of Government Street. The store is showed in this engraving (second from the left), between the Adelphi Saloon and the Bank of British North America. Businesses left to right; Adelphi Saloon, Kady Gambitz's dry goods; Bank of Britsh North America; Moor & Co., Druggists on Yates and Langley; Hibben and Carswell; Langley Bros. Druggists; Auction House on Wharf.Kady Gambitz opened his first store in 1858 on the West side of Yates Street.

Date: 
1862
Posted by jhsadmin
Object id: 
L.00026

Black and white image of an advertisement.

Date: 
1900
Posted by jhsadmin
Object id: 
L.00025

Selim Franklin (1814-1884) moved up to Victoria for the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush. In Victoria, the brothers Lumley and Selim established Franklin & Company, Auctioneers and Land Agents, at the foot of Yates Street. Franklin & Company generally took out full page adds in the daily newspaper, The British Colonist, to advertise items up for auction which usually included properties in the area, furniture, cattle, books, photographs and carriages. Selim Franklin (1814-1884) moved up to Victoria for the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush.

Date: 
1865
Posted by jhsadmin
Object id: 
L.00024

Black and white image of an advertisement.

Date: 
1900
Posted by jhsadmin
Object id: 
L.2006.01.001

Max and Mandel Dodek immigrated from Poland to Canada in the mid-1920s and moved to Vancouver in the mid-1930s. They established Dodek Brothers Furriers in 1939. Eventually, each brother operated a separate fur business.

Date: 
1960
Posted by jhsadmin
Object id: 
2006.33.001

Founded in 1935 by Isadore Flader, the Vancouver Umbrella Manufacturing Co. brought its umbrella manufacturing parts from Austria at the time.

Date: 
20th century